Dr. Halbert's Courses
To prepare for your final draft, please complete the following checklist to make sure your paper will not lose points for minor errors:
- Use CONTROL-F to search for the word "this" and make sure a noun follows immediately after it.
- Use CONTROL-F to search for the word "thing" and substitute a more specific noun in its place.
- Use CONTROL-F to search for the word "you" and rewrite the sentence to avoid using "you."
- Use CONTROL-F to search for the word "I" and seriously consider removing the phrase that contains "I" in it, particularly if it is in a phrase like "I think" or "I believe."
- Use CONTROL-F to search for each hyphen (-). If the hyphen is supposed to represent a dash, make sure there are two hyphens to recreate the length of a dash.
- Use CONTROL-F to search for each colon (:) and make sure that a complete sentence falls before the colon.
- Use CONTROL-F to search for each semi-colon (;) and make sure that a complete sentence falls before and after the semi-colon.
- Use CONTROL-F and search for each quotation mark. Verify that each quote has a signal phrase that is properly punctuated, that each quote has a parenthetical citation, that each citation is placed in the proper position with the punctuating, and that there is adequate discussion of each quote.
- Check that each block quote is two tab widths from the left margin and does not have quotation marks around it.
- If a quote has another quote inside it, make sure the quote-within-a-quote is in single quotation marks.
- Verify that each transition between paragraphs occurs at the start of each paragraph, not at the end of a paragraph.
- Verify that your conclusion ties together the core ideas of the paper, not just one or two.
- Make sure the phrase "In conclusion" does not appear in the paper.
- Visually compare your paper to a sample MLA paper and make sure the spacing and layout is correct.
- [Research Paper Only] Check each works cited entry and make sure that sources from Lexis-Nexis, Proquest, JSTOR, and EBESCO Host follow the guidelines for a work from a subscription service or database.
- Make sure every item on the works cited page is referenced in the paper.
- Make sure every item on the works cited page is double-spaced and uses a hanging indent.
- Check to make sure your font is 12 point Times New Roman.
- Check to make sure your first page has a page number on it and all the required information for the information block. Make sure the page number has your last name in it and is in the proper font.
- Make sure your title is centered, properly capitalized, and does not use quotes, bold, italics, or size change to set it off.